Climate & Sustainable Development Network of Nigeria (CSDevNet) is the leading civil society network in Nigeria, bringing together community associations, pastoralists, youth and women groups, media networks, faith-based and civil society organisations working on sustainable development goals to commonly promote and advocate pro-poor, climate-friendly and equity-based responses to climate change and sustainable development. CSDevNet aspires to unify and coordinate isolated civil society efforts on climate change advocacy in Nigeria to ensure that people-centred response mechanisms are accorded desirable attention and relevance as climate change is increasingly mainstreamed into national and global poverty reduction and sustainable development strategies and actions.
CSDevNet seeks to recruit a Finance Officer
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the National Network Coordinator, the Finance Officer provides leadership in the execution of financial services in the network, ensuring effective and transparent utilisation of financial resources and integrity of financial services. The Finance Officer works in close collaboration with the Programmes and Project teams across the country for resolving complex finance-related issues and information delivery. The Finance Officer will assume a hands-on approach to risk management and provide definitive advice on financial resource for successful implementation of organisational risk management.
- Organize the day-to-day budget and financial operations encompassing quality control, monitoring and clearance, financial accounting and reporting, work plan and grant management including cash flow forecasting and monitoring, while liaising with relevant team members.
- Manage funding allocations and process including work plan funding requests, submission of budgets, reprogramming of grants and preparation of expenditure batches, while ensuring speedy response to the management team’s financial requests. Ensure expenditures are appropriately charged to awards in line with the conditions in agreements with donors.
- Monitor and follow-up on donor reporting deadlines; verify and provide budgetary clearance to proposals and reports for resource mobilization team, ensure compliance with relevant financial policies, procedures and emergency SOPs.
- Track and report on financing against budget: monitor implementation rates, consolidate financial data, analyse and prepare periodic/ad hoc budgetary and financial statements and returns, identify financial gaps, and recommend remedial or alternative action to mangers as appropriate.
- Develop, update and maintain an accurate tracking system of all financial activities pertaining to the emergency preparedness, recovery and response operations.
- Oversee the accurate recording of financial transactions, calculation and payment of salaries, allowances and other payments to staff, non- staff, contractors and vendors.
- Evidence that applications meet the essential criteria will be assessed by either or all the following methods: Application (A), Interview (I), Test (T) and References (R)
- A first level degree in Accounting or Financial Management with specialization in budgeting/accounting from an accredited/recognized institution.
- Professional certification would be an added advantage
- At least two years’ professional experience, at a non-profit organisation
- Demonstrable experience in the use of complex financial management systems and software
Skills and Competence
- Knowledge of financial regulations for non-profit sector organizations (eg restricted / unrestricted income, grant funding, VAT and legal requirements)
- Demonstrable recent successful experience in a role(s) with similar responsibilities
- In-depth, articulate understanding of accounting policies and concepts (I)
- Impeccable, corruption-free reputation and integrity
- Discretion and a proven ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- Motivated performer and forward planner with strong attention to detail ability to meet strict deadlines
- Excellent administrative and planning skills
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to take initiative and deliver results on short notice and with minimum supervision
Terms and Conditions
- This post is based in Abuja, Nigeria and it is offered as a 12-month contract starting 3rd February 2020, including a 3-month probation period. The contract may be renewable provided funding is secured for the post and satisfactory progress is made.
- The standard working week is 40 hours per week. However, the demands of the job are likely to be such that willingness to work longer hours as sometimes required is necessary.
- CSDevNet is an equal opportunity employer that will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, colour, religion, sex, physical disability, or age but female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
To apply for this position, please send the following documents to [email protected] by the close of business on 28th January 2020:
- Cover letter (maximum of 1 page)
- CV (maximum of 2 pages